Monday, October 28, 2019

Daas Torah At Every Juncture

Lakewood Committeeman and former Mayor Isaac Akerman is up for reelection on November 5th. Please show Hakaros hatov for a  shliach Tzibbur. As always Rabbonim stress its imperative for the community to go out and vote even when you think your vote wont make a difference.  Here's a excerpt from a recent  article in the Pesach issue of the Yated Ne'eman newspaper.

Rav Shmuel kamenetzky Photo: Yated
Throughout his years on the planning board, and subsequently on the committee, Isaac would often seek out daas Torah, bringing his dilemmas to various gedolim. "Rav Shmuel Kamenetsky would always tell me when I was on the planning board that my job was not to be a frum Yid, but to do what I thought was yoshor," he shares. "Rav Zelig Epstein zt"I told me the same, and he added that if we tried to bend the rules, a tremendous sinas Yisroel would ensue." This would serve as his guidance throughout his career, though at times it would prove challenging to strike the right balance. "This field is called 'public service," he points out. "It is the job of a committeeman to help people. We are supposed to be helping people, and there is nothing wrong assisting any constituent. But sometimes the responsible thing to do is to say no. That is when it gets difficult, and that is where daas Torah comes into play. As Rav Shmuel said, if my hasharas hadaas as a committeeman tells me that it is wrong to do the favor, won't do it."

 Rav Shmuel also instructed him to use his yashrus as a barometer to know when it would be time to step away. "He once said that as long as my judgment remains impartial, I can rely on it. But as soon as I feel it has been tainted or distorted, it is time for me to leave the committee." Isaac takes Rav Shmuel's directive seriously and often consults with others to hear what the public truly desires in order to make balanced decisions. "I will vote a certain way because that is what is best for the public, even though it has no bearing on me personally," Isaac relates."For example, although the traffic in this town is very heavy, it does not affect me at all. However, most of the people I speak to are greatly affected by it, and I therefore made a priority to try to improve congestion."



 Aside from the occasional advice, Rav Shmuel played a pivotal  role in Isaac remaining on the committee.It was in 2015 and Isaac found himself under intense pressure from various aspects of the job. so Isaac consulted Rav Shmuel, who asserted that unless a posek would tell him otherwise, he had no right to step down. Concerned for his  health, Isaac called Lakewood posek Ray Yaakov Forchheimer, who advised him that his own well  being superseded his work for the  tzibbur. They proceeded to call Rav Shmuel together to pass along the recommendation. Rav Shmuel,however would still not concede "Is the issue the threat to his  health? The pressure will diminish  and it will not affect his health," Rav Shmuel avowed. "He should remain on the committee." With Rav Shmuel's assurance in hand, Isaac threw himself back into his work on the committee and has not looked back


The Components of a Successful Politician
There are many character traits indispensable for one to be an efficient politician, but Isaac believes that putting aside one's ego is most imperative in getting real work done."Recognition is not always attributed to the person who did the work," he notes. "But for someone who cares about the public, that shouldn't hinder their mission.

Likewise, if there is a different per son or agency that is better suited to  solve a certain issue, handing over the job and stepping back could be  the noblest action possible." He does acknowledge that while many people assume his job is a thankless one, they are mistaken. "People call me all the time and say that they are calling to thank me because probably no one else does.But that's not true. The community is extremely grateful and thankful. Every time I walk into Satmar, people approach me and thank me for issues of theirs that I have helped resolve." Power often leads to an inflated self worth which in turn can lead a person to arrogance and corruption it is always vital to rein it in.

Yated Ne'eman Pesach edition 5779



No comments:

Post a Comment