Monday, November 13, 2017

A SPECIAL SHABBOS IN LAKEWOOD

I always knew that the shul I daven in was special. Khal Divrei Chaim is a basement Shtibel with a mostly chassidishe group of mispalelim. I never realized how special it actually is until this last Shabbos. About 2 weeks ago the gabbai of our shul received a phone call from a family in Kansas City. They told him that they were making a wedding at Lake Terrace on the following  Sunday and needed a place to make an aufruf before the wedding. All they needed was 2 aliyahs . They wanted to know if we could help them. They had called every shul nearby and were told that they couldnt be guaranteed an aliyah. Our  gabbai and a few other members decided that we should make them a proper aufruf. They ordered candy to throw,  kugels and hot food and everything else needed for a Kiddush. The Rebbe of our shul of was more than happy to oblige of course.

We had no idea who these people were. When I walked into shul this past shabbos morning, I was surprised to see a veritable cross section of all types of Jews.  There were yarmulkes in every color,  size and fabric. There were people with jackets and  without jackets. It was definitely not the crowd that normally attends our shul. 

One thing that I noticed immediately was that none of the members of our shul looked uncomfortable or judgmental in any way. Everyone was happy and smiling . It almost seemed that everyone was in a better mood than usual hosting these friendly people. The chosson got his Aliyah. Candy was thrown. Davening was finished. And the kiddush began. I watched in awe as my fellow shul  members who I assume are not usually exposed to people from outside their community treated these fellow Jews as equals.  It was truly amazing to watch people from opposite spectrums of Judaism interacting with one another as if they knew each other their whole lives. 
As I walked home from shul I thought to myself this is truly what Lakewood is all about.

This wasn't a Kiruv event, or a fundraiser. It was an impromptu event that showed me what true yiddishkeit is all about. 
Our gabbai, who is a member of Bikur cholim, is very young, but he already understands what makes us Yidden so special. We are more than our differences.

Hershel Herskowitz 


Hershel Herskowitz 

17 comments:

  1. It’s hard to believe of all the shuls nearby none were able to guarantee an Aliya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hershel. I wish u were right when u say this is what lakewoods all about. Unfortunately this story is the exception not the rule..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pukshivnitz is the last stronghold of the fading normalcy in this town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. אך און וויי צו אונז אלע.....
      I think you should ask the Rebbe mechila. He doesn't want to be insulted by being called normal.

      Delete
  4. I’m on every of those Jews! That was a wonderful aufruf and an amazing kiddish! You guys were hilarious and fun and accommodating. You left out the best part though! Some of the chassids came to the wedding and brought their own shtick and really added to the event! Couldn’t have asked for a better Shabbos/Chasseneh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was one of those KC yids! We had an unbelievable time at the Shtibel! We were extremely impressed with the Davening and we’ll probably be talking abut that kiddish (particularly the corned beef) for years! You missed the best part though! At the kiddish some the chossids were invited to the wedding and they showed up and brought shtick with them and really added to the event! We couldn’t have asked for a better Shabbos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't speak for any other shul, but the shul I daven in would've done exactly there same. I'm inclined to believe this is the rule and not the exception.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd to add to the story. I am the chosson in this story.

    I felt like a king. The honor and happiness that the community gave to my family and I and the simcha that was added to the whole wedding weekend was tremendous.

    The warmth and openness of this community should be a light unto other communities.


    I'd like to add to the story. The love and simcha from this community did not end there. We invited them to join for a shabbas afternoon tish at our rental home where we sang, ate and drank all shabbas afternoon. We did not let them leave without knowing they were invited to joining at the wedding the next day.

    Not only did they come, but they danced and danced danced. They even brought an enourmas elephant costume.

    Everyone's enjoyment was elevated by their presence.

    Thank you so much for truely enhancing myself and my kallah's happiness on our wedding day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful story! What makes it more beautiful is hearing how happy HH was. Sometimes I worry about him being so tense all the time...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I beg all to not accuse the other shuls, I know my shul surely would have done the same. Many others as well. I would assume that any shul that said no, either had to many simcha that week to accommodate another or the exception to the rule.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds beautiful. I wish I could have been there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Call me ‘Farfrumt’, or whatever else you’d like, but I consider myself a mother who actually cares, and I just wanted to point out that I’m considering not allowing my young Bachur go to the grocery for me.
    The reason? Lakewood is no longer the same Lakewood it was 10 years ago with regards to Tznius.

    Advertise On TLS »
    I’m a regular ‘with-it’ woman (who happened to have moved from out of town close to 25 years ago), and I must say I’m appalled at the complete lack of Tznius I see.
    I know the issues of Tznius has been addressed here before, as well as in some national papers, but I never thought it would reach a point where I would simply not want my son exposed to these elements in my local grocery store?
    Who ever heard of women walking around as if Halachos are optional? This isn’t your backyard. This is a public place, and the Michshal is tremendous.
    I’m just hoping this can somehow be rectified before we completely lose the sensitivity expected from us as an Am Kadosh.
    Mrs. C.L.,
    Lakewood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And what does this have to do with the price of tea in China?

      Delete
    2. Please Keep this poop free. We don't have to be exposed to fake tznius letters that are clickbate to get hits.

      Delete
    3. next were gono start seeing dash cam videos and ask the mayor fake panel!!! please please keep it poop free

      Delete